Re: Removing "Duplicate" Names That Aren't The Same

From: Emmanuel Baechler <ebaechle_at_hospvd.ch>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:14:30 +0200

  1. Fischer wrote:

> [...] we need to remove "duplicate" records - for example, "Bob Somebody"
> and "Robert Somebody" (where the rest of the data is similar or the same).

Well, what you need is called "pattern matching". Usually, it's written in
languages like Lisp and performed over dynamic data structures instead of
of database records.

In your case, you have to write a boolean function determining wether two records are similar, according to your rules. Of course, you also have to determine which record you want to keep and which one you want to discard.

Does this help?

Emmanuel Baechler
LES HOSPICES CANTONAUX
Office Informatique
Bugnon 21
1005 Lausanne
Switzerland Received on Thu Sep 24 1998 - 18:14:30 CEST

Original text of this message