Removing "Duplicate" Names That Aren't The Same

From: A. Fischer <acf34_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:47:28 -0700

Hi kids - Yup you read correctly. I am wondering if anyone has had to do a similar project: remove "duplicate" records where the fields are not exactly the same. We have some data that includes names and addresses, and we need [Quoted] to remove "duplicate" records - for example, "Bob Somebody" and "Robert Somebody" (where the rest of the data is similar or the same). Short of creating and populating a "nickname" table, I cannot think of an elegant way of doing this. (Worse still is the case of addresses using "St." or "Street".)

Ideas greatly appreciated and please cc my email: acf34_at_yahoo.com

TIA,
A. Fischer Received on Thu Sep 24 1998 - 01:47:28 CEST

Original text of this message