Timeout setting for connection...

From: Jeremy <jpburton_at_netspace.net.au>
Date: 1998/09/23

Hi there,

        I am currently developing an application which connects to an Oracle server. This application is time critical - ie the simple query which is performed needs to be returned
within one or two seconds. In normal operation this is fine - we have put the server under a normal load, and have no problems. Where our problem comes in is when everything isn't going as smoothly as it should be. For instance, if the DB server drops off the network. At the present, it will sit there waiting for a response from an IP which goes nowhere. In our application, this is just not something we can run the risk of happening. Is there some way in which the oracle client software (I'm guessing it might be a setting in one of the .ora files) can be configured to timeout after 1 or 2 seconds of no connection being accepted? The only timeout settings I can seem to find are for things like if there is idle time on a connection or the like.

Thanks,

Jeremy Burton Received on Wed Sep 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message