Re: I've fallen and I cant get up.

From: <rconover_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:45:53 GMT

In article <01bde321$4b9f9f20$360baa0a_at_ictltgclark>,   "Greg C." <gdclark_at_southwind.net> wrote:
> Please help me.
>
> why is this happening.
> I have registered a target db in a recovery catalog. I have also
> successfully backed up the entire db and recovered it. However when
> opening the db after recovery, I had to use the resetlogs option. Now when
> I try to run another RMAN script I get the error message "target database
> incarnation not found in recovery catalog".
>
> I have tried to resync the catalog and I get the following message.
> Recovery Manager: Release 8.0.4.0.0 - Production
>
> RMAN-06005: connected to target database: TEST
> RMAN-06008: connected to recovery catalog database
>
> RMAN> resync catalog;
>
> RMAN-03022: compiling command: resync
> RMAN-03023: executing command: resync
> RMAN-03026: error recovery releasing channel resources
> RMAN-00569: ================error message stack follows================
> RMAN-03006: non-retryable error occurred during execution of command:
> resync
> RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel default
> RMAN-10032: unhandled exception during execution of job step 1: ORA-06512:
> at li
> ne 586
> RMAN-20003: target database incarnation not found in recovery catalog
>
> By the way, I am doing everything from the RMAN prompt, and not using OEM.
>
> I cannot get RMAN to run consistenty. This is very frustrating.

Greg,

I seem to be in the same boat with RMAN (I think this particular boat is called Titanic). I have performed several successful backups and semi-successful restores (I had to use svrmgrl to complete the recovery, since RMAN wanted to continue the recovery past the latest available archive log and would error out).

I also have had my repository break with several different "out of sync" errors and have seen your specific error (along with many others) several times.

Do you know of anyone who is successfully using RMAN on a regular basis? Oracle support (as they nearly always do) seems to think I am just doing something wrong, but so far their suggestions have not eliminated the problems. In searching the archives on dejanews, I seem to find only problems and no solutions or success stories.

We are currently just evaluating RMAN and so far it has failed completely. I don't have any confidence in a tool that I cannot get to work consistently, especially a backup/recovery utility.

Rich