Re: how can I drop a column from a table??? Hurry up, please

From: <johnvue_at_gte.net>
Date: 1998/09/18

Whenever a problem (such as drop column, rename column, table reorg, etc...) calls for "DROP TABLE" as part of the solution there are some issues that need to be addressed:

  1. constraints
  3. triggers
  4. grants
  5. comments
  6. audit settings on the table
  7. snapshot logs
  8. stored procedures
  10. synonyms

Items #1 - #7 get dropped along with table. Items #8 - #10 don't get dropped but some may need recompiliation.

Everyone seems to remember items #1 and #2 but forget the rest!

If you're a DBA, you'd be doing yourself and the company you work for a favor if you memorize this list. These 10 issues come from working with Oracle 7.x . With Oracle 8.x, there may be new issues to add.