Re: Invoking and passing values from FORMS to MS Word

From: <psalmu_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:29:23 GMT

In article <19980917230116.03944.00000912_at_ng99.aol.com>,   danhw_at_aol.com (DanHW) wrote:

> >Has anyone done this? Invoking MS Word/Excel from Forms ( 4.5, 5.0 ) and
> >pass screen values as parameters to the document. Can i use the built-in
> >packages DDE to achieve this?

> To get to Word, we used the OLE2 package, and we started the application
> Word.Basic, which is **very** limited. According to Oracle, Microsoft changed
> the OLE interface and the 4.5 OLE object does not work to the full-blown
> object. Word has the left-over Word.Basic piece, so you can get to that. Excel
> does not have an older piece, so it doesn't work. This was on NT 4.0/Forms 4.5
> (Developer 1.5.1)/Oracle 7.2/Word97.

I have used the actual object model by starting with OLE2.CREATE_OBJ('Word.Application'), then getting handles to lower level objects and using their properties and methods directly. You can see in the object browser in Word what is available although it may take some guessing how to apply the OLE2 package. Anyway it looks like you can do most anything that doesn't require an argument of unsuitable type like Range. The same method works with Excel.