Re: Question about Web-Apps & Firewalls...

From: <beansboy_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:58:33 GMT

In article <36012C74.52FB572B_at_lucent.com>,   Brit Willoughby <bwilloughby_at_lucent.com> wrote:

> How does a JDBC Web Applet talk to the Database? Does it open a
> socket back to the database server?

Yup.

> If the client pc is behind a firewall and the database is outside
> the firewall, can the client open a database
> connection through the firewall?

Depends on your 'firewall'. Depends on what port you ask the forms server to sit on (usually a high number, like 8008 or 5005 or something). Depends on if your firewall blocks that port to that machine from the outside. I have never heard of using any kind of proxy server for it -- you may need to make your forms server sit *outside* your firewall.

Many (quote) firewalls (unquote) do not block ports past 1024...