Question about Web-Apps & Firewalls...

From: Brit Willoughby <bwilloughby_at_lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:36:20 -0500

[Quoted]     How does a JDBC Web Applet talk to the Database? Does it open a socket back to the database server?

[Quoted]     If the client pc is behind a firewall and the database is outside the firewall, can the client open a database connection through the firewall?

Example:

[Quoted]     Let's say that I want to give IBM query ability on our database, so I write a JDBC Applet that connects to our database. Now Mr. IBM fires up Netscape and goes to the url. The applet downloads to his pc (which is inside his firewall). Can that Applet open a connection back to my database through his firewall?

    We're thinking of using Dev2K to make Web Forms, and they must work for everybody...

    Thanks,

        Brit Willoughby
        bwilloughby_at_wichita.lucent.com