Re: Help Getting ORACLE data into a web page

From: D <MFC_at_well.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:43:35 GMT

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:40:12 -0500, yong <yong_at_shell.com> wrote:

>Supposedly yes. But the fact that Oracle Web server is buggy and hard to
>maintain and debug compared to, say, Apache, makes me conclude that Apache -
>Oracle Database - Oraperl (or any other similar Perl module) is better.
>Oracle has a long way to go to improve their Web server to barely catch up
>with the volunteers' product Apache.

I fully agree with your views on Oracle Web server, a pig to install and set up, and very prone to problems. When on the inagural Deploying Web Based Applications course, at Oracle Education in Reading it took the tutor a whole day to set up and install OWS. The problem was that all the machines had names beginning in numbers, ie 2223.uk.oracle.com, and OWS won't work in machines where the name begins with a number. The solution was to change all machine names ie X2223.uk.oracle.com

This was a totally undocumented fault, the support staff at Oracle had no idea about it, it was only because someone visiting support overhead the conversation, and purely by chance new of this problem. Received on Mon Sep 14 1998 - 17:43:35 CEST

Original text of this message