Forms 4.5 - Master Detail Problem

From: David Donaldson <david.donaldson_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 09:38:13 +0100

[Quoted] [Quoted] I'm trying to create a from which has two master detail relationships [Quoted] but have hit a problem. The background to the form is as follows:

This part of the database is used to track employees and their skills. The entity/relationship diagram looks like:

Employee---<Skill_profile>---Skill

The columns in the tables are:

Employee:
Employee_no
First_name
Surname
Grade

Skill_profile:
Employee_no
Skill_code
Skill_level

Skill:
Skill_code
Description

What I'm trying to do is create a form which will show all the skills for one employee. I therefore set up relations under the employee and the skill_profile blocks with the following conditions:

Employee:
Master Employee
Detail Skill_profile
Join condition: Employee.employee_no = Skill_profile.employee_no

Skill_profile:
Master Skill_profile
Detail Skill_code
Join condition: Skill_profile.skill_code = Skill.skill_code

The problem is that because I've set up an inverted relationship between the skill profile and skill, although multiple records are displayed for the skill_code and the skill_level, only one record is returned for the description. In order to display each description (which is taken from Skill) for each Skill_code(taken from skill_profile) the user has to click in each skill_code field.

Is there a way that I can set this up so that all the descriptions are displayed for all the skill_codes?

I'd really appreciate any advice as I'm a new user to Dev/2000. Thanks. Received on Fri Sep 11 1998 - 10:38:13 CEST

Original text of this message