Re: Data Warehousing

From: Sanjay Doiphode <sdoipho_at_lasd.org>
Date: 1998/09/10

A very good source of information is The DataWarehousing Institute. www.dw-institute.com. Also a magazine named DMReview should be referrred.

As you may know DW requires a totally different approach, namely denormalizing as opposed to normalization as in OLTP systems.

Your Oracle knowledge will help you, but some RDBMS concepts may have to 'unlearned' !

To do a small project you can manage with just Oracle database and PL/SQL. However Discoverer 2000 will be helpful. There are hundreds of tools available depending on the requirement of your DSS. If you starting new, try reading a text book first - my suggestion Data Warehouse Toolkit by Ralph Kimball.

Hope this helps.
_sanjay