Forms API

From: john birtley <john.birtley_at_uk.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 21:21:13 -0700

Please forgive me if this is an FAQ (where *is* the FAQ for this NG anyway?) but I'll ask it anyway as I haven't seen any questions like it here already.

Is there a forms API for Oracle? I need to be able to get AOL objects from one database to another (possibly more than one). There are tools to do the job (like Chainlink for instance or Object*Migrator) but I want to be able to go via ClearCase and store the objects in ClearCase in some way.

What I want to be able to do is write some routines that go through the forms API to, for instance, register a report group and then be able to run those routines against other databases. Clearcase will give me the source code audit trail and the routines themselves will propagate the databases.

Maybe it can't be done, maybe there's a better way. Can I, for instance, export a particular AOL object from a database to a flat file and then re-import it from the flat file?

People who I've asked so far say "no way it can be done it's gotta be done manually" but I've got an SA background so I'm too lazy to do anything manually and I want to script/code it to death.

Can anybody give me any pointers? I'll happily RTFM if somebody will tell me which FM to R .....

Thanks for your help.

John.

The problem I'm trying to solve is:

	DB1

---
Representations of AOL objects stored in Clearcase either by code that is to be run or by exporting of the objects to flat files. DB2 DB3 DBn
---
Same AOL objects in DB1 can be propagated to these by either re-running the code or importing the flat file. Or maybe there's another way ....