Unix Env variables from Forms4.5

From: Andrew D. Arenson <arenson_at_swan.imgen.bcm.tmc.edu>
Date: 26 Aug 1998 11:38:56 -0500

        I am developing a forms4.5 app on a Solaris system and am interested in capturing the Unix user_name into a particular field. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how this might be accomplished.

        Our current security architecture relies on using the Unix login and maintaining a single Oracle username that is hard-coded into the wrapper script which launches the form. I would like to avoid both duplicating passwords between Unix and Oracle and forcing users to log in twice.

        So far I have been unsuccessful in finding a mechanism for allowing UNIX environment variables to pass into the forms application. I'm currently pinning my hopes on one of the following, but have not yet fully researched them:

  1. f45runm may allow one to set a PL/SQL global variable at the command line.
  2. The Oracle form may provide some way to execute shell commands when running on a UNIX platform.
  3. There may be some automatic translation of the UNIX env variables into accessible PL/SQL global variables of which I am as of yet unaware.
--
Andrew D. Arenson            | http://gc.bcm.tmc.edu:8088/cgi-bin/andy/andy
Baylor College of Medicine   | arenson_at_bcm.tmc.edu        (713)  H 520-7392