Re: How to start Notepad ASYNCHRONOUSLY from FORMs?

From: Olivetti <m01b2a00_at_mcmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:40:55 +0100

Hanspeter Maurer wrote:

> On a NT/W95 platform I need to start a simple text editor (e.g. Notepad)
> from FORMs. I tried the HOST command to start the editor. I was able to
> start the Notepad, but FORMs was blocked as long as Notepad was running.
>
> So my question is how can I start Notepad ASYNCHRONOUSLY (control
> immediatley returns to FORM even when Notepad is still running).

Hi Hanspeter

There's a Developer 2000 library file called D2KWUTIL.pll which comes bundled
with the Developer toolkit which has just the function you're looking for!
It should be in C:\ORAWIN95\BIN\FORMS45\PLSQLLIB or wherever your shipped
FORMS45 libraries are kept.

There is a packaged procedure in here called WIN_API_SHELL with the single
procedure winexec. This allows you execute any host program asynchonously.

To call Notepad simply attach this library to you form and in your code add the line

     WIN_API_SHELL.WinExec('C:\NOTEPAD.EXE'); --

Hope this works.

NOTE:Be sure sure to check out the other funky utilities like playing a .WAV
file or bringing up Windows95 Save/Open dialog boxes!

Regards,

Mervin Samuels Received on Tue Aug 25 1998 - 21:40:55 CEST

Original text of this message