ORA-1403 on Embedded SQL Update

From: <rbonebra_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:40:31 GMT

[Quoted] Using Oracle 7.3.2 on MVS with PRO*COBOL Pre-compiler version 1.8.

Converting proprietary database records to Oracle. We have INSERTed a row using host variables. The input file contains a record with the same key values of the row already inserted. Oracle returns an error code indicating we have a duplicate record.

We fall into a routine to try to UPDATE one of the non-key fields with information from the record in the input file. However, we consistantly get an ORA-1403 error returned by ANY other embedded SQL statement other than the INSERT. It's as if our host variables are not recognized for use to SELECT, UPDATE, or DELETE the row (and we have tried them all). The 1403 seems to be a failure code that the pre-compiler sets up and my not be indicative of a true error, but it's enough to blow us out of the water and not accomplish our goal.

Is there anyone out there familiar with a similar situation when using host variable laden embedded SQL passing through a PRO*COBOL pre-compile? Or, has anyone, using any pre-compiler, had similar difficulties or gotten the mysterious 1403 when they don't think they should have?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ray Bonebrake