Re: Help! Urgent! Database incredibly grown.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 1998/08/22

Danil,

[Quoted] I'm more or less guessing now, you need to check out a few things before something more definitive can be said. The guess is big sort going, sort results in a so called temporary segment temporary segment will be created in any tablespace, preferably in it's own tablespace. The tablespace which will get the temporary segment is determined by the users temporary tablespace setting. Secondly, the tablespace where this happened in is an autoextend tablespace. Then the strange thing: 'old-style' temporary segments are dropped automatically. Of course the extra storage will not be released. In this case your remark about a temporary segment is strange. If the temporary segments are in a tablespace designated as a temporary tablespace, temporary segments are created in more or less the same fashion as rollback segments. Now at least we will need you to issue the following select: select segment_name, tablespace_name from dba_segments where segment_type = 'TEMPORARY'
Hopefully this is the default tablespace called TEMP. If this is true, simply drop it, and create a new smaller one, and disable autoextend. If this is not true, you will need to run queries on dba_tablespaces first to determine where the storage was allocated and respond.

Hope this helps,

Sybrand Bakker