Re: Oracle vs Sybase

From: Ng K C Paul <paulkcng_at_news.netvigator.com>
Date: 1998/08/21

Yes, I agree. I think Oracle has already included the useful features in RDB into their best selling Oracle RDBMS.

Barry L. Wallis (Barry.L.Wallis_at_cpmx.saic.com) wrote:
: This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
:
: ------=_NextPart_000_0064_01BDCC35.9B6D81A0
:
: Anthony Mandic wrote in message =
: <35DBDB43.19ED4C35_at_agd.nsw.gov.au_hormel.free>...
:
: Hi Anthony,
:
: >Barry L. Wallis wrote:
: >>=20
: >> Actually, your statement is not true. Oracle has at least 4 different =
 databases:
: >>=20
: >> 1) Oracle RDBMS: The flagship Oracle relational database product that =
 runs on more
: >> machines than you would care to number.
: >
: > I think you really meant to say it "runs on less machines than anyone =
 over
: > the age of 6 would care to count up to".
: >
:
: 'nuff said.
:
: >> 2) Oracle Rdb: Database engine purchased from Digital Equipment =
 Corporation. This
: >> one only runs on Windows NT, OpenVMS and Digital UNIX. It is =
 generally more
: >> robust in a production systems environment (at least compared =
 Oracle7) and IMHO
: >> can be tuned to run better than the Oracle RDBMS (on those =
 platforms where it
: >> runs).
: >
: > So what you're claiming is that DEC's Rdb is better than Oracle's =
 RDBMS?
: >
:
: It obviously depends on what you mean by better, right? I believe it is =
: faster and more robust in terms of attributes that matter for large =
: scale transaction processing and production systems in general.
:
: >> 3) Oracle Express: Server for Data Warehouses.
: >>=20
: >> 4) Oracle DBMS: CODASYL DBMS purchased from Digital Equipment =
 Corporation.
: >
: > Another DEC purchase. Look like Larry Ellison must really like DEC
: > products. I wonder if there's a message in that for all of us.
:
: What Ellison bought was people. The Rdb Engineering team is one of the =
: best in the business. It is my belief that now that the team is paired =
: with the best selling database, we will see Oracle take great strides in =
: bringing their database up to the level of their hype.
:
: >
: >> My suggestion is that people use the right tool for the right job and =
 be careful
: >> when comparing apples and orangutans.
: >
: > And what is the right tool for the right job?
:
: Now that depends on the job, doesn't it? For some jobs a plain old =
: sequential file will do the trick, for others you might need something =
: else.
:
: And speaking of the right job; I'm looking to build a performance =
: testing team for a project in San Diego, if you know anyone.
:
:
: --=20
: Barry L. Wallis, Senior Systems Engineer
: Science Applications International Corporation
: 4161 Campus Point Court
: San Diego, CA 92121
:
: voice: (619) 646-9891, fax: (619) 646-9327
: mailto: Barry.L.Wallis_at_cpmx.saic.com
: _______________________________________________________
:
:
:
: ------=_NextPart_000_0064_01BDCC35.9B6D81A0
: filename="Barry L. Wallis.vcf"
:
: BEGIN:VCARD
: VERSION:2.1
: N:Wallis;Barry;L.
: FN:Barry L. Wallis
: ORG:SAIC
: TITLE:Senior Systems Engineer
: TEL;WORK;VOICE:619-646-9891
: ADR;WORK:;;4161 Campus Point Court;San Diego;CA;92121;USA
: LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:4161 Campus Point =
: Court=3D0D=3D0ASan Diego, CA 92121=3D0D=3D0AUSA
: EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:Barry.L.Wallis_at_cpmx.saic.com
: REV:19980820T192524Z
: END:VCARD
: