Re: Forms 45

From: Madhu Cherukuri <Madhu.Cherukuri_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 21 Aug 1998 01:12:04 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] It's little tricky. Try the following

D2K can only use the Oracle 2.3.x.x SQL-Net and protocol adapters.  The only net8 component you'll use (or need) is the listener. Therefore, you'll need to do a custom installation of SQL-Net 2.3.x.x. I believe its on the PO8 disk. Be sure to leave Net8 installed as well.

Here's how I did it. First setup your listener.ora under orawin95/net80/admin so that it reads as follows (notice I got rid of the localhost hostname - it was causing me problems!): LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = 127.0.0.1)
(Port = 1521)
)

  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 99
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = ADMIN
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = ORCL)
    )
  )

Secondly, make sure that your HOSTS file (not HOSTS.SAM but HOSTS - duplicate
with no suffix) has the following:

127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       lynch

In my case lynch is the name of my computer (under the identification tab in the control panel - network settings). Change yours appropriately.

Run regedit and change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\LISTENER_STARTUP TO
AUTO (FROM NOAUTO ORIGINALLY). This way your NET8 listener will startup automatically when you start PO8.

Edit your tnsnames.ora (for sql-net 2.3) under orawin95/network/admin so that
you have a TCP/IP connection to the corresponding Net8 listener. Here's the respective lines from mine so you can follow along: lynchtcp.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = 127.0.0.1)
(Port = 1521)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )
You probably want to use SQL-Net Easy Config (for 2.3 - not 8!) to simplify this task.

You should be able to make a connection via any 2.3 SQL-Net tools - this would include SQL-Plus 3.X and D2K anything (including 2.0!).

Hope this helps

Madhu Cherukuri