Re: Oracle vs Sybase

From: Barry L. Wallis <Barry.L.Wallis_at_cpmx.saic.com>
Date: 1998/08/19

[Quoted] [Quoted] Actually, your statement is not true. Oracle has at least 4 different databases:

  1. Oracle RDBMS: The flagship Oracle relational database product that [Quoted] [Quoted] runs on more machines than you would care to number.
  2. Oracle Rdb: Database engine purchased from Digital Equipment [Quoted] [Quoted] Corporation. This one only runs on Windows NT, OpenVMS and Digital UNIX. [Quoted] It is generally more robust in a production systems environment (at [Quoted] least compared Oracle7) and IMHO can be tuned to run better than the Oracle RDBMS (on those platforms where it runs). [Quoted]
  3. Oracle Express: Server for Data Warehouses.
  4. Oracle DBMS: CODASYL DBMS purchased from Digital Equipment Corporation.

[Quoted] [Quoted] My suggestion is that people use the right tool for the right job and be careful when comparing apples and orangutans.

--
Barry L. Wallis, Senior Systems Engineer
4161 Campus Point Court

voice: (619) 646-9891, fax: (619) 646-9327
mailto: Barry.L.Wallis_at_cpmx.saic.com