HELP! With Pro*COBOL on MVS

From: <rbonebra_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:06:10 GMT

I have been struggling with what should be a very easy task -- and I keep getting an error which makes no sense.

We have inserted a record into a table via embedded SQL and host variables. We come along later in the same program (and, we have not done a commit yet) and try to insert a record with the same primary key attributes. We get the proper error telling us that it is a duplicate record, and we fall into a routine where we want to update one of the non-key columns with information from the latest record.

Nothing, I repeat NOTHING, we try to do with that row that Oracle tells us is there will work with any embedded SQL statement. We've tried updating with a Select and Where the key columns equal the host variables . . . We've tried deleting the row to re-insert it (since insert works and update doesn't), we've tried just SELECTing the row . . . and everything returns a 1403 error -- which appears to be something that the pre-compiler generates as some kind of failure (although not the same error it considers "fatal"). It is also an error that does not reflect the situation -- something about the FETCH has completed??

What can we do to get this thing to work? I've tried embedded SQL of every type (as outlined above). I've tried dynamic SQL and gotten nowhere at all. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ray Bonebrake