Strange JDBC error: Bigger type length than Maximum

From: Andreas Huber <andreas.huber_at_aua.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:18:50 +0200

When using the JDBC thin driver (CLASSES111.ZIP) as downloaded from your web site today, but also using the version with Oracle 7.3.3.4) against one of our databases I receive this error from time to time:

Bigger type length than Maximum
SQLState: null
ErrorCode: 0

I use IBM VisualAge for Java-generated DAX (= Data access builder) classes so maybe some of the information is added by DAX.

The occurance of this error seems to be data dependent (e.g. it goes away when I change the ORDER BY clause).

Since there is no source code available for the JDBC implementation my questions:
- what exactly does this error message mean?

  • what are common causes for this error?
  • is this a known bug?
  • any workarounds available?

Again most important would be a description of this error, especially what may cause it.

BTW the DAX classes were generated using MS Oracle ODBC driver since the DAX does not support any native Oracle access method.

Any help appreciated

Andreas Huber, Austrian Airlines Received on Mon Aug 17 1998 - 13:18:50 CEST

Original text of this message