Oracle complex SQL query development tools?

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:49:55 GMT

I have been looking for a few weeks for a tool to assist one of our developers in the construction of large multi table select queries. I have to admit total defeat here :-(. I found some tools but none of any quality or "fitness-for-purpose".

Overview

The developer makes extensive use of decode etc and (select) queries often fall into the 1000's of lines. He spends a large amount of time manually designing these and a (good) tool to allow rapid design and modification of complex queries would produce a reduction in his stress levels - which would be good for all :-)

Commercial and free/shareware suggestions are both appreciated. Please don't tell me that such large complex queries are bad practise

  • the size and complexity of the queries are due to application realm (large complex reports against telecoms call/billing data).
  • I am the wrong person to try and convince :-)

If I find nothing of value I will probably end up writing something in perl/DBI/tk - based on prior developed software, but this would be a act of [Quoted] [Quoted] last resort...

Thanks,

        Jacqui

p.s.

    If people respond by email I will summarise [Quoted]     back to this group...

--
Email: Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk  http://www.ig.co.uk/
Fax  : +44 1483 419 419       http://www.perlclinic.com/