PLATINUM acquires interest in TOADSoft?

From: glx42969 <jmw42969_at_glaxowellcome.com>
Date: 12 Aug 1998 16:58:16 GMT

Why has Platinum acquired such an interest in TOAD? The Toadsoft web page has a list of all the times someone from Platinum has accessed the Toadsoft web and it looks like Platinum employees spend everyday downloading the latest Toad version. Why is this? Fear? Worry? Curiosity? "Borrowing" technology?

The presence of Toad is obviously trashing sales of products such as Sql Station, but do you acquire a product to keep it from impacting your own sales? I've never heard of that. Normally, a company would expect to make money from an acquisition. So what's with all this Platinum interest in Toad? I've thought about this and I think we found the answer over lunch. Toadsoft has 10's of thousands of users who have all been liberated from Notepad and Sqlplus (of course, many defected from Platinum and Quest which might be a hole in my logic). If Platinum took out Toad and Toad disappeared, there would be a lot of developers stranded without a Toad and with little desire to return to Notepad. Then where do they turn?

See the point? Doesn't that explain it? Is that what Platinum is up to? Received on Wed Aug 12 1998 - 18:58:16 CEST

Original text of this message