Re: HELP ODBC DRIVER PERFOMANCE !URGENT

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:31:04 GMT

On 8 Aug 98 20:59:14 GMT, "jeff oxenhandler" <jeffoxen_at_jps.net> wrote:

>Hi,valued VB and DB Guru
>
>My environment
>network Novell Netware 4.1
>Oracle Server 7.3.4 on NT box
>Client:
>Oracle ODBC Driver Oracle 7.3 Ver 2.5 2.05.0301,Win 95,
>MS Driver Manager and other ODBC stuff 3.0.28.22
>Aplication in VB for SQL statement execution ODBC based
>
>Result
>the script (1000 Inserts) takes two times more time with VB application
>than the same script executed in SQL*PLUS environment on the same
>WORKSTATION,.
>Has anyone have the same expirience?
>
>Any ideas?

Unless you are using completely SQL Pass-Through, you are experiencing the "normal" performance characteristics of ODBC.

Think about it....our Oracle8 ODBC driver was written using our native interface to Oracle (OCI, or the Oracle Call Interface). When you issue some SQL statement, the ODBC driver does some form of syntax and semantic checking, and then passes it off to the database to do the same thing! This isn't specific to Oracle, this is what you get with ODBC (and regardless of driver vendor....it's an ODBC architecture thing).

A faster native interface to Oracle is from the Oracle Objects for OLE. There have been many postings to this group from non-Oracle employees who have told of dramatic performance improvements when getting away from ODBC. See http://www.oracle.com/st/products/oo4o/

Hope this helps.

>Thanks in advance
>mailto :jeffoxen_at_jps.net,
>
>Jeff Oxenhandler

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Aug 12 1998 - 00:31:04 CEST

Original text of this message