Re: forms30 and Y2K

From: <lyall_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:13:54 GMT

In article <6pqqsk$7s3$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   ironmtn_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> I have been reading the available newsgroup information and Oracle metalink
> postings and have a question.
>
> If you set nls_date to mm.dd.rrrr (or rr), when the database receives dates
> from forms in the format of mm/dd/yy, shouldn't it force the correct century
> at storage time?

Not necessarily... You also have to specify the NLS_DATE_FORMAT on the client side... Did you do this? In Win32, in the Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE define a new string value NLS_DATE_FORMAT, make it mm.dd.rrrr (or rr). In Win16, in the ORACLE.INI: Just put a new parameter under [Oracle]: NLS_DATE_FORMAT. I don't know how it works under UNIX (perhaps .profile???) Anyways, you might want to check that.

> The only reason I can think of as to why this wouldn't happen is if the forms
> tool itself passes a century to the database that is incorrect (because
> forms30 doesn't have rr capability).

I quite sure this doesn't happen. I know that if you have specified mm/dd/yy on the server in NLS_DATE_FORMAT and someone enters in 01/01/01... Oracle automatically saves 1901 as the year and zero's for the time. In other words, there is always something in every spot in the date/time of a DATE column.