dbms_sql.parse question

From: Wayne McKinney <wmckinney_at_tiainfo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:08:17 -0500

[Quoted] [Quoted] I'm trying to use the following statement in my Forms 5.0 form.

DBMS_SQL.PARSE(source_cursor,

        'SELECT EMP_NAME FROM EMP_TABLE',DBMS_SQL.native);

In PL/SQL run from SQL*Plus, this statement runs just fine. When I try to place this same statement in a trigger, I get the error :

Implementation Restriction: 'DBMS_SQL.NATIVE': Cannot directly access remote [Quoted] package variable or cursor

and the trigger won't compile at all.

I tried researching this problem in the Usenet Oracle groups and came up with (form Forms 4.5) that this really was an implementation restriction. Forms 4.5 uses PL/SQL version 1 which doesn't allow for package variables like 'DBMS_SQL.NATIVE'. I'm not sure, though, if this applies to me. A quick trip to the Forms Buildler (Forms 5.0) 'About' box shows that PL/SQL version 2.3.4. The SQL*Plus I'm using is accessing an Oracle 8 server, so it's PL/SQL engine shows version 8.0.4.

Steve Cosner (http://members.aol.com/stevec5088) suggested to use a '1' in place of 'DBMS_SQL.V7'. I tried this, and, even though the form compiled and the PARSE went through, the DBMS_SQL.EXECUTE failed in the form.

What's wrong here? Received on Thu Jul 30 1998 - 23:08:17 CEST

Original text of this message