Re: PDF files in Oracle database

From: Bob Hayden <bob_at_nospam.ljpc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 18:01:32 -0700

Ray,

Yes it's possible to store binary data within Oracle, but I have found that it is usually easier to implement and manage if you keep large binary files separate from the DB. In my experience I have found it is much easier just to give each file a unique name and store this name in the DB. We use this scenario to store all analytical data that comes out of our QC lab- I store all the test data, and results in Oracle8 (using SQL*Loader), then store graphics on a separate file system. This is mapped as a virtual directory on our web server, so when web pages are generated that need to display the graphics, the image file is just another URL (this sounds like it would work perfect for PDF's too, since you have a free plugin for web browsers).

If you do decide to put your binary data into Oracle, make sure you put it in its own table (not the table that stores native datatypes).

-Bob

rnbernardo_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I'm just wondering if it's possible to store PDF files within the Oracle
> database, and if so, what client software can be used to view it. Our
> department is about to scan and convert tons of hardcopy documents to PDF
> format (for archiving purposes) and since we are migrating to Oracle very
> soon, I just want to know is Oracle can handle such files. Anybody know?
>
> Ray

Bob Hayden
Systems Analyst
La Jolla Pharmaceutical Company