Re: PDF files in Oracle database

From: <lyall_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:19:29 GMT

[Quoted] In article <6pja67$6a5$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   rnbernardo_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> I'm just wondering if it's possible to store PDF files within the Oracle
> database, and if so, what client software can be used to view it. Our
> department is about to scan and convert tons of hardcopy documents to PDF
> format (for archiving purposes) and since we are migrating to Oracle very
> soon, I just want to know is Oracle can handle such files. Anybody know?
>
> Ray

Anything can be store in Oracle tables. They have a data type called Long which can store up to 2 to the power 31 - 1 bytes... or 2 GIG! It just stores variable length data of any type. You can only use one LONG column in [Quoted] a tables... at least in Oracle 7.x. There is another called LONG RAW that contains raw binary data, but is otherwise the same as LONG columns. These values must be in HEX notation. I don't know too much about this data type. If you look at some of the system tables, like DBA_TRIGGERS, it uses LONG datatype to store the source code for the trigger... which can get pretty big.