Problems connecting to Oracle with DBTools on NT...

From: <s_connolly_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 22:24:58 GMT

Newbie alert.

I'm trying to create some database applications on NT4.0 using DBTools, Oracle 7.3, and MSVC5.0, and having a problem connecting... When I call

RWDBDatabase aDB = RWDBManager::database("ORACLE", "wasat.mycompany.com", "willy", "wilpwd","wildev");

I get the following error message:

Error code:       5
Error message     [SERVERERROR] Error from Server: ORA-12154: TNS:could not
resolve service name

Is terminal: No
Vendor error 1: 12154
Vendor error 2: 0
Vendor message 1: wasat.mycompany.com
Vendor message 2:

wasat is the server, wildev the database, willy the username, and wilpwd the password.

I have zero trouble connecting through with sqlplus, etc., so my tnsnames.ora is fine.

Walking through in debug mode, I found that the Oracle connection library constructs the string username_at_servername:databasename to connect. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't work with Oracle 7.3. If I edit (*shudder*) the library code (file oraconn.cpp, line#144) and take out the servername: part, it works just fine.

Am I missing something? Is there a config problem here?

Thanks,
-Sean