Re: Developer 2.x and NET80

From: <czetie_at_nospamus.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 12:51:07 -0700

Subramaniam, Sridhar wrote:

> When is Dev2.x going to use NET80 for db connections? SQL*Net 2.3.x
> connections are fine as long as you create forms which reference tables
> with Oracle 7 datatypes. How does one create forms based on "O8
> Objects"?

Hmmm, there's actually several questions mixed together here, but the answer to them all happens to be "Release 6.0" :-)

Release 6.0, planned for the last half of this year is planned to be the next major release of Developer. (As an aside, for those that haven't heard, we're dropping the /2000 from the name).

The reason we're going from R2.x straight to R6.0 is simply to sync up the
version numbers - R2 contains Forms 5, Reports 3, etc. R6.0 will contain Forms 6.0, Reports 6.0, etc.

So the blunt answer to the first question is "never": R2.x uses Net V2, and (in all probability) always will. R6.0 uses Net8. HOWEVER (and this is a big "however") just going to Net V8 would not get you object support.
What's also needed is an upgrade in the builders and runtimes to use OCI8 so that they can interact with Object Tables; enhancements to the navigator to show object structure in database objects; additions to the New Block and New Report wizards to support objects; the ability to use REFs for master-detail relationships and LOVs; and an upgrade to PL/SQL8. All of this is part of the R6.0 release.

So the answer to the second question (which I suspect was the real question all along!) is "upgrade to R6.0".

Incidentally, for those with a strong need to build Forms based on Object Tables right now, you can do so in R2.x through intermediary stored procedures, which then become the basis of your Blocks. There is a utility in 2.1 dubbed the "Object Iron" that helps with this. Received on Sat Jul 25 1998 - 21:51:07 CEST

Original text of this message