Forms 4.5: Record groups instead of temporary table

From: Luis Cabral <cabral_at_merconet.com.br>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:59:35 -0300

[Quoted] Hi all,

I have a complex report to do, and I was thinking about using a temporary table to do the work. Thanks to the help I received from comp.databases.oracle.server, I realized that the use of temporary tables under Oracle is *really* not a good option - it should not even be a option.

[Quoted] So, I decided use a record group, in Forms 4.5, to store the temporary data I will work on. At maximum, I'll store about 6,000 rows with 10 columns, make all the processing in Forms and then pass the record group as a data parameter to a report.

I have made some tests with good results, but I would thank any advice on using record groups and possible problems/limitations, as I only have used them with LOVs. The principal questions that I have are: what is the limit of the number of rows, where do they get stored (in memory or in a disk file) and what is the performance cost of having a lot of rows?

Thank you.

Luis Cabral
cabral_at_merconet.com.br Received on Fri Jul 24 1998 - 17:59:35 CEST

Original text of this message