Re: Oracle Forms Question

From: Thanos Tsakonas <ttskns_at_ath.forthnet.gr>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:57:10 +0300

Dennis M. Hancy wrote in message <6ol2p2$2s3$1_at_pale-rider.INS.CWRU.Edu>...

>Can someone give me an overview of what the "get_item_property"
>function does? And what its arguments are? If you could recommend
>some place where I can look for this information myself, that would
>be helpful too.

You may use to obtain almost any item property. Also there is in Forms 5.0 the get_item_instance_property which is used to get the selected instance's properties instead of the whole item.

Consider this example:

An Edit Item named 'MY_ITEM' which exists in a block named 'MY_BLOCK'. In order to find which is the next item to get the user navigated you enter:

an_item := Get_Item_Property('MY_BLOCK.MY_ITEM',NEXTITEM);

In order to find which is the visual attribute of the, let's say, 4th instance, you enter (only in 5.0):

a_visual_attr :=
Get_Item_Instance_Property('MY_BLOCK.MY_ITEM',4,VISUAL_ATTRIBUTE);

In 4.5 you cannot reffer to specific item instances.

>The one example I am looking at has a second argument of ITEM_CANVAS.
>But I'm not sure if that's specific to the example or if that
>value is a standard value that will work in my case as well. Any light
>you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It simply returns the canvas property, which is the canvas where the item is put. (and if visible, shown at execution time when the specific canvas is visible).

Hope it helped,

Thanos Tsakonas.