Re: Developer 2000 / Cobol question

From: <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:33:59 GMT

Not sure what information you got, but Developer 2000 doesn't speak any COBOL. Developer 2000 (Forms) provides a client/server interface to an Oracle database. Forms run on Windows/NT platforms, and allow users to view and update data in the database. Cobol doesn't fit into the picture.

If your client has existing COBOL programs, they can be modified to read/write Oracle database tables instead of your VMS data files by converting them to Oracle's Pro-Cobol. You would need to rewrite all of the file I/O, converting them to Oracle database SQL commands. I understand this is a lot less difficult than rewriting all COBOL programs in Oracle's PL/SQL language.

Steve Cosner
http://members.aol.com/stevec5088