How do you design ProC to work with C++?

From: <gunawan.agus_at_infores.com>
Date: 1998/07/09

[Quoted] Hi All,

[Quoted] I used to do my ProC (v2.2.3/Oracle 7.3) programming with C on an HP-UX machine and I would like to catch up with the rest of the world and start using C++. I have managed to get a simple database object (create the connection and closing it) to work by following the instructions on the manual. However, I haven't been able to figure out anything much after that.  For example:

    [Quoted]
  • EXEC SQL CONNECT :userpass AT MY_DB USING :db_string; The "MY_DB" part doesn't compile when substituted by a host variable. This is going to severely hamper the reusability of the database object.
  • Doing a query. With the simple database object, the client can execute query just like before (EXEC SQL SELECT...) but this is a screwy thing to do [Quoted] and it totally defeats the purpose of OO design. I was trying to build a wrapper that let the client submit a query, get back an id, and use the id to [Quoted] fetch the next row. I'm also thinking of doing it ala OODBC's Database & Dynaset object. To do this, I need a generic fetch that can work for any number of columns but I am not sure how to write such thing.

Does anyone tried to do this and is this a feasible thing to try? or would I [Quoted] better off trying to pull this with Oracle 8?

Thanks,
wan