Re: Developer 2000 - Any Good?

From: Paul Dorsey <pdorsey.dulcian_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 08:32:21 -0400

Developer is perhaps the best tool, on the market if: 1) You know how to use it. It has a long start up cost if you don't have an experienced mentor. I think it is actually worse than other tools in this reguard. It is at least as opaque as C++. I have learned every product
I have ever used on my own without help, except Developer. I needed a hand to get started with Developer.

2) You build or buy a good template. Developer is most effective when you have your tools and utilities ready to go. I feel confident that my team can outbuild most
teams using any products they want because I come to the table with much of my
applications able to come up VERY quickly.

Developer provides:
1) Better Oracle integration. You can control your amount of DB traffic better with Developer.

2) You can call your C routines either through developer (using FFI) or, perhaps even
better you can place your heavy C++ routines on the server and call them through
PL/SQL functions.

3) One programming language for both client and server side code. This is HUGE.

If you have a large internal base of VC++ or whatever coders including a good
tech lead than I would stay with your core expertise. If you are going to be going to
a new platform for development anyway then I would:

Choose Developer.
Get a mentor.
Buy a template.
Do a small project first befor you take on your legacy redesign.

--
Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.
AirData_at_Solo.Pipex.Com wrote in message <6mvrg5$bj5$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>We are considering redevelopment of our existing software, this software is
>approx 40% database, 40% U.I and 20% heavy math. We have decided to use
Oracle