Re: Anybody use HP AutoRAID with an Oracle DW?

From: Mike Lacey <lacey_michael_j/swby_at_swby.cgo.Cargill.Com>
Date: 1998/07/02

I don't use Oracle DW but I do have an HP9000 K220 running several Ora db's with an AutoRAID Array. On the whole I'm extremely pleased with it. Performance is very good - I haven't been seen the machine io bound in normal operation. I really like the way it optimises disk access without intervention; raid 1 & 1 for everything unless it runs short of space and then raid 5 for the least used blocks - very nice.

SIngle disk failures are handled ok - you get an email - you call the man out - he replaces the disk - the users never notice.

We did have a problem a while back because of the interesting way the AutoRAID Array responds to over-temperature alarms from the host machine - It Doesn't. The air conditioning "failed" in the computer rom (actually it was turned off!) and the K220 spotted the temp and shut itself down - fine. The Array didn't notice a problem until it started to have disk failures... We had two disk failures. This was an interesting time. At the time we booted from the Array - no internal disks at all. Now I have an internal 2gb drive which mirrors rootvg. I'm talking to HP about the over-temperture sensing business now.

Regards

Mike

--
Open Systems Engineer, Cargill INC, UK