Re: DBMS_OUTPUT

From: Michael <michael1_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 22:49:19 +0200

Dennis M. Hancy schreef:

> How does one print a blank line using DBMS_OUTPUT?
>
> I tried this:
> DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(' ');
>
> but it didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> Dennis Hancy

Your syntax is right, but you can't use it like this at the SQL prompt. PUT_LINE is a procedure inside the package DBMS_OUTPUT. If you want to execute a procedure from the prompt, just type: SQL> exec dbms_output.put_line(' '); and your string will be displayed. Don't forget to set serveroutput on first.

This use of dbms_output.put_line does not make much sense. If you use it in a PL/SQL block i.e. a function or a procedure, then you can track execution of your programm by using the function at strategic places in the programm. This way you can check if certain statements of your programm are executed. I stead of a quoted string you can also put a variable between the brackets, thus checking the result of a select statement (the output of a cursor) or a calculation.

Good luck

Michael Received on Wed Jul 01 1998 - 22:49:19 CEST

Original text of this message