Re: Forms 4.5: making a "multicolumn" list item?

From: Thanos Tsakonas <ttskns_at_ath.forthnet.gr>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:12:22 +0300

Michael Krolewski wrote in message <35965F64.B8A8712_at_u.washington.edu>...
>Read up on generating a list. The LOV (list of values) has multiple
columns --
>although only
>the first column can contain information that is passed back to the
application.

This is not true. You may pass information by every column using the column mapping property.

>The first
>column can be hidden. Thus a foreign key could be in the first column,
hidden
>and the
>more discriptive fields displayed.

Additionally: The first VISUAL column is used for quick search (user types and the list limits). Also it is used for validation if a "validate from list' property is checked. Queries with join should have a distinct description.

>It is possible to construct your own list with one or more columns. The
>disadvantage is that
>you have to do more work. Originally, forms did not support any user list.
So
>you had to
>populate the list, provide navigation, etc. I believe Formst 4.5 has built
in
>support.

Neither Forms 4.5, nor 5.0 has any support for this. You may construct a record group instead. OR you may build a list (with two columns) using a dummy separator (this is f.ex. "x$!*x") for the list value. After a list label selection, you may use parsing obtaining the list value (I have tried it and it worked fine - just a bit slower for more than 2500 records.)

>The advantage of your own list is that you can use more than one column eg
two
>foreign keys
>or which column is the "result".
>
>Mike Krolewski

Thanos Tsakonas
SW Engineer Received on Mon Jun 29 1998 - 17:12:22 CEST

Original text of this message