Re: Formating Phone Numbers in Forms

From: Michael Krolewski <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: 1998/06/28

Since the US and international number (and within different countries it is different), there is no
standard formating mechanism ie using the format property.

The best suggestion is to use the on-change trigger to format the data -- you would have
to detect that it is US, add or substract spaces, hyphens, parathesis, check for length then
reformat the way you like. This can be done in PL/SQL with the various string functions.

I might suggest that you always store the phone number as a number string with no formating
and a field defining the type of phone number eg US, Canada, France, International (for any
either unknown or not specifically formated), etc. When printing/displaying the phone, format
it then. It allows for multiple formating depending on your needs.

Mike Krolewski