Re: Generating large size reports with Reports 2.5

From: Ric McCue <rmccue_at_kc.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 15:40:48 -0500

oz1dcv wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 1998 21:39:46 -0500, Ric McCue <rmccue_at_kc.net> wrote:
>
> >the server. After the server is done with the report it is sent back to
> >the client either using email or FTP. If there is another way to do
> >this, I'm definitely interested. in hearing it.
>
> I would be a little worried about the same phenomenon will occur on
> the server, and although with greater resources (RAM and virutal
> memory) it could eventually be clogged up and bring the whole database
> to a near standstill instead of just one PC.
>
> Yours
> Hans Erik Busk
> oz1dcv_at_image.dk

I agree that it is better to lose a client or two rather than the entire database.
If the number, size, and frequency of run for the reports warrant it, the RPC called would not have to be the report itself on the server, but another program the queues up the reports and runs them according to priority or FIFO. This program could monitor the system to run at lulls in the workload if necessary. And if a separate server for the reports could be justified, then you've isolated the reports and the queue program from the database servers and, if applicable, the application servers.

Ric Received on Sun Jun 28 1998 - 22:40:48 CEST

Original text of this message