Re: HELP: Forms 4.5 - Multiple tables

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 27 Jun 1998 03:16:58 GMT

>Using Oracle Forms 4.5
>
>We have a multitude of tables which all have the same table definition
>(column names and data types). We would like to have one Oracle Form which
>prompts the user for a table name; and then pulls column information from the
>specified table.
>
>So, the form will perform just like any other form, but the display will
>refer
>to the user-entered table. All querys, updates will affect the user-entered
>table.
>
>Can it be done? I appreciate any help!
>
>Thank you,
>Steve Chapin
>schapin_at_energygraphics.com

Create a view that is the union of the tables involved, and add a text column that says the name of the table in user-terms. That view is the base table for the block. When the user enters what table they want, use that criteria against the text column that you used in the view. In the on-update/on-delete/on-insert triggers, you can either use the DBMS_SQL process to build the statement, or have a big IF then else block to operate on on the correct table.

Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Sat Jun 27 1998 - 05:16:58 CEST

Original text of this message