Re: Forms 4.5: making a "multicolumn" list item?

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 27 Jun 1998 03:07:14 GMT

>Hello.
>
>I'm trying to emulate a dynamically generated multicolumn (i.e., >2 columns)
>t-list a la MS Access's multicolumn list box. The two-column limitation of
>list items means I must find a workaround.
>
>One thought was to make a multi-record block behave like a list item.
>
>The other thought was to make a t-list, set its font to a monospaced font,
>and dynamically populate the list by concatenating the various "label"
>columns into one column (each separated by a '|' character, perhaps).
>Unfortunately, that would mean deviating from the standard variable-width
>font used in the app.
>
>Any best practices here?
>
>Many thanks,
>John C. Hopkins
>Programmer/Analyst

 Use the LOV functionality rather than the poplist. You define a query via a Record Group, assign that record group to a LOV, and assign the LOV to an item. You can select more columns than you display (you can select a key value, but only display the description for example), and you can populate multiple form fields from the result (ie, select City, and populate City State and Zip).

Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Sat Jun 27 1998 - 05:07:14 CEST

Original text of this message