Re: How can I monitor an ODBC thread to an Oracle DataBase

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:01:05 GMT

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:22:13 GMT, simon.spurrell_at_aspect.com wrote:

>I need to monitor an application thread to an Oracle DataBase. The connection
>is over the network.
>
>Hope someone can help

If you have a separate thread in your ODBC application, and each thread has established a separate connection, then there are many ways you could skin this cat.

You can monitor any connection to the database. It doesn't matter if the connection is emanating from an ODBC application, a Web application, SQL*Plus, etc.

Using the tools, you could use either Oracle Top Sessions to monitor in real-time the activity going on for any connection to the database. Or you could use Oracle Trace to collect statistics for a single session, a single user, or the entire database. You can collect data for the Oracle Server, SQL*Net/Net8, etc. using this utility.

Using the command-line tools that come with the Oracle Server, you could collect a trace file for your session, another user's session, or the entire database instance. The tools involved are the SQL trace facility and TKPROF. These are well-documented in Chapter 22 in the Oracle8 Server Tuning manual. Using trace files is awesome, because it provide a crystal-clear picture of what an application is doing and how it is accessing the database.

Hope this helps.

>Simon Spurrell

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Fri Jun 26 1998 - 14:01:05 CEST

Original text of this message