Re: Tunneling the Oracle native Protocol through HTTP

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:56:12 +0200

Jörg Werner wrote in message <358A89D2.19FBF495_at_intershop.de>...
>Piotr Kolodziej wrote:
>> I don't think that HTTP would be a good choice.
>> Why HTTP???????? What advantages ?
>
>Unfortunately, this is a feature which we have to
>provide, too. But it seems there is no HTTP
>tunneler available. :-(

Probably not. What would it be applied to ?

>> In my opinion there's no real need to do that.
>> SQL*Net 2 (or 8) which is native Oracle network
>> protocol may be tunneled between networks much
>> much easier.
>> For example by simply forwarder as a proxy.
>> I've tested plug-gw from TIS Firewall Toolkit
>> against sqlnet listener on screened unix machine
>> and that works fine.
>
>Of course, this will work but ...

That's not my bussiness but I think you're going to go unnecesary complicated way.
It looks as encapsulating telnet in http. It can be a good comparison. Both telnet and SQL*Net have sessions, may have two side traffic.... You may do it but what for ? It does not improve security for example but decreases it... Maybe it's the aim ..

Piotr Received on Fri Jun 19 1998 - 18:56:12 CEST

Original text of this message