Re: Help needed in passing GLOBAL between FORMS

From: Jonathan and Leonora Samuel <samfam_at_spaces.dircon.spaces.co.uk>
Date: 1998/06/17

[Quoted] ORACLE have since confirmed to us that GLOBALS DO work, even with OPEN FORM with a new SESSION specified.

I have also since found that the apparent failure to pass the GLOBALs in my FORM
was caused by a totally different and rather obscure bug which was itself being masked by a coding error in one of our FORMs

Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

Jonathan

On Wed, 20 May 1998 22:08:55 GMT,
samfam_at_spaces.dircon.spaces.co.uk(remove-the-spaces) (Jonathan and Leonora Samuel) wrote:

>Hi!
>I am finding that there appears to be no reliable way of passing
>variables back from a FORM which was called using:
>OPEN FORM with a new SESSION specified.
>
>Can anyone help or suggest an alternative method?
>
>Here is my problem in detail
>=====================
>
>We have developed a multi-FORM (ORACLE 7 / FORMS4.5) application in
>which FORMs are opened either from a main menu or from one another.
>
>We are using OPEN FORM statement with SESSION because we want a COMMIT
>in one FORM, not to COMMITall other FORMs that happen to be open at
>the time.
>
>We want to maintain REFERENCE numbers like ACCOUNT_NUMBER between all
>open FORMs so that when a particular Account is being updated, users
>can open other FORMs to view/update it without having to re-type the
>number.
>We decided to do this using GLOBAL variables, since parameters cannot
>be passed back from a FORM only down into it.
>It seemed to be working OK, until....
>A GLOBAL variable set in a FORM that had been opened was not seen by
>another form that had called it.
>We looked in the HELP and asked ORACLE and to our shock the answer
>seems to be that GLOBAL variables don't pass between FORMs opened in
>separate sessions (although they had appeared to up till now).
>
>Can anyone else tell me how they cope with what must be a fairly
>common requirement ie. to pass data between FORMs without all the
>FORMs COMMITing for one another?
>
>Please e-mail me any advice to:
>"JW Samuel" <j.w.samuel_at_x400.icl.co.uk>
>(This is bit urgent)
>Thanks,in advance.
>
>Jonathan Samuel

>Send emails to us at samfam _at_ dircon.co.uk (without the spaces)
>if you like.
>Our default e-address is just a ruse to dodge the junk-mail.

Send emails to us at samfam _at_ dircon.co.uk (without the spaces) if you like.
Our default e-address is just a ruse to dodge the junk-mail. Received on Wed Jun 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message