Oracle Enterprise Manager and multiple CPU problem

From: Steve Pedersen <steve_at_here.com>
Date: 17 Jun 1998 16:57:01 GMT

I have been having an unusual problem with OEM and multiple cpus. When using top sessions in OEM, and killing sessions, the LGWR occasionally dies. I know that I am choosing the correct process id to kill, and I use the tool all the time. Near as I can tell, the problem started after changing from async io to multiple db_writers. On the server that is not using multiple db_writers with multiple cpus, I do not have this problem. With the server with multiple cpus and db_writers set up in the init.ora file, it will crash. I have had this reoccur several times.

If the sessions are killed using sqlplus (query on v$session and using alter system kill ...) there is no problem. I am running OEM 1.3.5 and awaiting upgrade.

If anyone has any ideas, or has experienced the same thing, please let me know. You can reach me at steve_pedersen_at_northwood.ca

Thanks,

Steve Pedersen
Oracle DBA Received on Wed Jun 17 1998 - 18:57:01 CEST

Original text of this message