Oracle Reporting Tool - What's your pick?

From: Tracey Berukoff <tlberukoff_at_cbe.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:28:56 -0600

[Quoted] [Quoted] I have been assigned the task of looking at reporting tools to use against an Oracle database. We currently have some reports written in MS-Access 7.0 but aren't very happy with the performance (win 95 to DEC Alpha DB Server, some SQL Pass through, some attached tables) though it's really easy to use. I have done a little bit of development with Reports 2.5 and hated it...all those frames make me dizzy and it seemed very akward :-)
I've heard Crystal Reports 5.0 is also a viable option.

Is there any one out there has already compared and/or utilized multiple reporting tools against Oracle?? If yes, what's your opinion? what are the problems/advantages of each in terms of usability, performance etc? The reports we need relate to inventory and job costing and are very calculation intensive.

Also, some of the current Access reports use 3 or 4 layered queries (ie: a pass through query runs and feeds into another query which does some calculations etc). How would one recreate that type of processing in Reports 2.5?? Do you need to use temporary tables??

Any help, comments or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tracey Received on Mon Jun 15 1998 - 23:28:56 CEST

Original text of this message