Re: OCI: How do you set/retrieve NULL on a VARRAY column ?

From: Michael Krolewski <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: 1998/06/13

OCI has within in the binds an indicator variable which is a short integer.

To set a null variable, I believe the indicator is -1.

When reading variables, the indicator is 0 for a good read, -1 for a null and +1 for a overflow (too big or too small). In the overflow case,
often the available part of the valus is there, but it may be unreliable. For example,
a string would be truncated to fit into the given space.

To do all the testing all the time is a pain to type, but generally you are not
changing the binding code that often. It is basically error checking.

In the past I have generate a struct/class that contains the indicator with the data
to facilitate working with the read data. I generally convert any problem data

immediately after the OCI call is executed.

Mike Krolewski