Re: Oracle Newbie : Getting only limited number of rows

From: David Ng <david_ng_at_attmysite.com>
Date: 1998/06/12

The rownum is assigned to a record before sorting. You get the first N records and then filter them with your criteria. As a result, you get less records than you expected.

Try merge join the table with dual table like the followings

Select     /*+USE_MERGE*/ a.salary
from        target a, dual b
where     salary=DECODE(b.dummy(+), 'X', null, null)
and         rownum <= 50

order by salary ;

David Ng