Forms 5.0 - Read Excel file from OLE container

From: Adrian Klingel <NOSPAMklingela_at_nt.com>
Date: 1998/06/12

Happy Friday to all of you.

I've got a text item with a WHEN-MOUSE-DOUBLECLICK trigger that calls GET_FILE_NAME, at which time a user selects an Excel file from the resulting Open File dialog. The name of that file is sent into the text item, and in the next line I call INITIALIZE_CONTAINER, to assign that Excel file to an OLE container I have listed below.

Works great. Activation upon focus, so the user can change all the values right inside the Excel spreadsheet and still be inside my app. Doesn't scroll down with the arrow keys, which is a bug I guess, but Page Down works, so not that big of a deal.

Here's the issue: After the users change values to their satisfaction directly inside the spreadsheet, I want to load those values into the database. I've got that excel.pll library, but it only sets or gets the value of one cell at a time, and I imagine that would be slow. Another option would be to do an OLE call to save the resulting file as a tab-delimited or CSV file and use TEXT_IO to read it in.

What is the best way, and how should I go about it? I haven't done this before.

Thanks for your help,
Adrian Klingel Received on Fri Jun 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message